Funding Available For Trails and Complete Streets
On August 17, Governor Cuomo announced the availability of nearly $100M in federal Transportation Alternatives (TAP) and Congestion Mitigation & Air Quality Improvement (CMAQ) funding. This funding is available to support bicycle, pedestrian, multi-use path and transportation-related projects and programs, as well as projects that reduce congestion and help meet the requirements of the Clean Air Act.
These funds, made available through the Federal Highway Administration and administered by the NYS Department of Transportation (NYSDOT), are provided through the Transportation Alternatives Program (TAP) and the Congestion Mitigation and Air Quality Improvement Program (CMAQ).
TAP dollars, as well as funding from the Transportation Enhancements Program (TEP) which preceded it, have been used to fund portions of the Canalway Trail system, as well as other multi-use trail networks around the state.
As with previous rounds of federal funding, projects will be selected through a competitive solicitation process and rated based on established criteria that include public benefit, air quality improvement and innovation. TAP/CMAQ awards will provide up to 80% of project costs, with the remaining 20% provided by the local project sponsor.
Municipalities and other governmental entities, as well as non-profit groups, are eligible to submit applications; however, all applications must be supported by a local government, state agency, or other authority eligible to administer federal funds. More eligibility information can be found in the TAP/CMAQ guidebook.
NYSDOT is hosting informational webinars and workshops around the state during the week of September 12 at which applicants may ask questions and learn more about the application process and eligibility requirements. Project applicants must attend a workshop in order to receive consideration for their proposed project.
NYSDOT staff will also be offering to review draft applications. This is highly recommended for all project applications.
Completed applications for TAP/CMAQ funding must be received by October 21, 2016.
Full program information can be found at NYSDOT's TAP/CMAQ information page.
Take advantage of this great opportunity to fund your Canalway Trail or other biking and walking projects!