Our "Take a Hike" Granola Bars will Keep You Moving
Fall is the perfect time to hit the trail for a hike or bike ride, and Parks & Trails New York has the perfect snack to keep your energy flowing. Our "Take a Hike" granola bars are easy to make, and chock full of healthy ingredients. Bake a batch, grab a friend, and take a hike this season!
Take a Hike Granola Bars
2 cups rolled oats
½ cup raw sunflower seeds
1 cup chopped walnuts
½ cup flaxseed meal
½ cup maple syrup
¼ cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons butter
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
½ teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
½ teaspoon kosher salt
2 cups combined dried fruit: cranberries, diced apples and golden raisins
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Combine oats, sunflower seeds, walnuts and flaxseed meal on half sheet pan and toast in the oven for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Combine syrup, brown sugar, butter and vanilla in a saucepan over medium heat and stir until sugar dissolves, add cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
- Add oat mixture and chopped dried fruit to syrup mixture and stir to coat well.
- Line a half sheet pan with foil and spray with canola oil. Spread granola mixture evenly and press firmly into the pan (use the bottom of a glass measuring cup sprayed with oil to press the mixture evenly into the pan).
- Bake at 300 degrees for 20 minutes. Let cool completely on a rack before inverting pan and slicing into bars. Enjoy on your next outdoor adventure!