April 22, 2023
Every Earth Day weekend, the NYS Canal Corporation and Parks & Trails New York host Canal Clean Sweep, a weekend of 100+ spring clean-ups on sections of the Canalway Trail, in canalside parks, and in other public areas throughout the Canal corridor.
Volunteers from scout clubs to Rotary and Kiwanis chapters, Adopt-a-Trail groups, nature clubs, college students, church groups, elected officials, sports teams, local businesses and groups of many other types come together to show their love for the Canal and Canalway Trail System.
Register as a volunteer
If you know the name of your event, you can search for it in the search box. You can also use the search function to search for a location, and the map will zoom in to events in that location.
You can register for public events (indicated by black pins on the map) by clicking on the pin and then clicking on the "register" link. Private events (indicated by gray pins) can only be registered for using the unique link that the event organizer has received and will send out to their specific groups.
To view the map full screen, click here.
Register an event
- Registration opened for event organizers on February 14, 2023. Clean Sweep organizers can be anyone from community groups to local businesses, and municipalities to families.
- Organizers will register an event by filling out a registration form, including your clean-up location (try NOT to select a location that already has a registered event), how many volunteers you expect, what t-shirt sizes you'll need (WHILE SUPPLIES LAST), and some other details.
- One your event is approved it will then get added to the interactive map above (PTNY will reach out to you directly if there are any questions about your event).
*The pins on the map indicate that an event has been scheduled for that location. Please DO NOT select these locations to host additional events.
4. Prior to the scheduled event, PTNY will provide event organizers with resources, including promotional materials, trash bags, and t-shirts (Find more info below under "2023 Resources for Organizers"
5. On March 13, 2023, volunteer registration opened for those who would like to participate in Clean Sweep.
6. Volunteers can join existing public events by clicking on an existing event on the map and filling out a quick form.
7. On Earth Day weekend, get out there, clean up and have fun!
2023 Resources for Event Organizers
Organizer Package Contents
Organizer Package Contents:
- Trash bags for litter collection
- Canal Clean Sweep T-shirts
- 2023 Flyer
- An instruction letter, checklist for organizers, a sign-in sheet, a volunteer service agreement, and a photo release agreement
Promoting your event
Promoting your Event:
- Download and print the flyer to hang up around your community
- Use the community press release template to let local news outlets know about your event
- Partner with a local Bike Friendly NY business - use the interactive map on our website to see if there is one near you
- Create a Facebook event and invite your friends!
- Post about your event on all your social media platforms. Make sure you use #CanalCleanSweep and tag Parks & Trails New York, Erie Canalway Trail, and NYS Canal Corporation in your posts to be shared out.
Share your #CanalCleanSweep
Share your #CanalCleanSweep experience!
- Take lots of photos and share them throughout the day, using the hashtag #CanalCleanSweep and tagging @eriecanalwaytrail, @parkstrailsny and @nyscanalcorp
- Upload your best shots to this google drive folder, creating a folder with your organization/group's name or email them to email@example.com
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or concerns.
Thank you to our 2023 Canal Clean Sweep sponsors:
Another way to show your appreciaton for the Canalway Trail is by adopting a trail section through the Adopt-a-Trail program. Contact PTNY at email@example.com or 518-434-1583 for more information.